Tips for handling financial pressures in relationships
- Be aware of different attitudes to money, talk about how money was dealt with in your family/previous relationships.
- Make conscious decisions around money. Decide how the roles and decisions will be shared.
- Write down what is bugging you about money in your relationship. How much of the problem is the money, and how much is about how decisions are made? This can clarify your thinking and be a good starting point for a discussion.
- Money arguments can become volatile. If it feels unsafe to have these discussions, seek relationship help.
- Relationship counselling can help people learn new ways of addressing underlying issues in their relationship, which limit the impact of money problems on their relationship